Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Paper CUPS and cheating at GAM

 It's the start of another school year and the beginning of a furious period where I try to remember how I did things a year ago. And then discovering there were shortcuts I forgot about!

We use Papercut Mobility to help setup devices to print to location and usage-specific printers around the school. One of the great things about Papercut is the usage of a universal print driver which usually works great, skipping the need for installing many different packages from different vendors.

Behind the scenes, I'm pretty sure Papercut is just delivering the print job as a PDF over Postscript. While helpful in setup this means many of the printer features such as finishing, paper sizes or trays aren't available to users. An easy way to "upgrade" the Papercut driver is by installing the vendor specific driver.

A nice visual way of doing this is by turning on the CUPS interface. Run in a terminal:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

then visit http://localhost:631. In the CUPS interface modify the printer you normally print to and add the printer package file. Note: I have not tried this with the "Find me" printer and can imagine this would cause issues.

Another year also means many missed updates from critical software packages such as Google Apps Manager. This is a lovely tool that assist in API calls and can even accept batch commands. After updating our instances to the most recent version of GAMADV-XTD3 I printed out a copy of the GAM Cheat Sheet to post on my already crowded wall. I look forward to forgetting it's there.