Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Slicer 360 and 3D models

I've been having some fun with cutting larger 3D models using Slicer 360. It allows import of .STL files and slices them into a variety of interlocking slices. The models below were made with interlocking slices, however you can also do stacked slices, such as the terrain models I created last year.

I can see the benefit of having bigger 3D shapes made out of little material, and the challenge or puzzle of slotting them all together. I think kids of all ages would get a kick out of it. However, I can see the limitation being the actual 3D .STL file -- creation using Blox 3D Junior is limited in its 3D formation and Tinkercad is a bit too tricky for the younger ones. I guess you start creating in Blox 3D Junior and then import into Tinkercad for further refinement but that level of app smashing is probably too much for our kids.