Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Laser cutting topographic maps

I've added another project to my current assortment of a DIY coffee table, Breakout boxes, and pot lights at home: laser cutting a 3D elevation map of Vancouver. You can often see this wooden maps at craft fairs and they take a fair amount of work: you have to extrapolate the elevation data from maps, create a 3D vector-based file, accurately scale it to the thickness and size of your material, then assemble it, typically gluing all the nested elevation layers one by one.

It's quite a bit of work and I've stopped and started numerous times. I am also definitely not a great geographer, so a lot of the GIS and elevation data is a bit confusing to me; I'm not even sure what the difference is between topographic, elevation, digital elevation, and contour maps! But I've somehow made it a point where I can start assembling my first prototype. Here is the 3D file I've created so far of Vancouver:
I had to exaggerate the hills a bit so they contrast more with the flat areas but I'm really happy with what I have so far. There's quite a few different ways to get this point, so here are some of the links I used so I don't forget: